Sunday, July 8, 2012

We put the Nas(ty) in Nascar

Well, ladies and gents, I did something yesterday that I had never done before. I went to a NASCARrace. Yes, it was crazy. Yes, it was wild. Yes, I had the best time ever.

Disclaimer: The pictures in this post may seem like my friends and I are making fun of all things NASCAR. We are not. Quite the opposite, we are enjoying the festivities in fun, questionable apparel. I promise I am not making fun, just fascinated with this hobby of so many different people. 

Let me back up a little on how I ended up in Daytona on a hot July night. Our friend, T lives in Jacksonville, about two hours from Orlando. His friend Ryan was coming in for the weekend and they wanted to partake in attending a real, live NASCAR race. So, T called us and asked us to join. I was hesitant for many reasons. Reason #1: I had only heard stories about these races. Reason #2: Remember, my husband and T are trouble. 'nuff said. Reason #3: Talk of dressing up was mentioned. Not dressing up like going to a nice restaurant. Dressing up like Halloween. When I expressed my concern, my oh so funny husband replied " Seriously, Jen, just imagine you are dressing up for date party." Yeah, definitely had my last date party in 2008!?! Remember, we are 26 years old, like out of college 4 years ago. So, the boys won out on the dressing up and I headed to Wal-Mart to find something to wear. Annnnnd, I ended up with this little beauty:



You may not know this about me, but I am a Tridelta. Our mascot is the dolphin. How perfect was this shirt for me. I wore this shirt with pure pride. Delta Three, Delta Tri 4-ever. delta love.


So, when we arrived in Daytona, I was in awe. I definitely did not comprehend the devotion and love that people have for NASCAR. It is incredible. People were tailgating from Thursday night for this race. They shamed some VOLS tailgating. for real. 

We found a nice, shady spot to tailgate since it was just 4 million degrees outside. We cooked some burgers, ate some chips, and chilled for a couple of hours before heading into the big event. 

 Yes, this is what my husband wore to the race.
Yes, it is the shape of FL in a gun. 
Don't worry, he legitimately wears this shirt around the house.
Loud and proud, y'all.
I love these boys so much. 
They are crazy, but they are soooooo much fun.
 Oh, you know, just tailgating in our beach chairs. no big deal.
 This may or may not be our Christmas Card picture for 2012. 
totally not kidding.
 Dolphin 'Merica shirt. Check.
Sunglasses. Check.
Ear protectors. Check.
I was beyond ready for the race.
 Guess who told husband to wear tennis shoes.
Guess who didn't listen.
Guess who ended up with dirty, grocery store feet.
Oh, that would be my husband.
 I knew we were meant to be there. 
Do you see the lake's name?
Lake LLOYD!
 We thought the race started at 6:30.
So, we arrived at 6:15.
No, it started at 7:30.
It was totally okay because Train played the pre-race show.
 So many people. Very loud cars.
 Of course, they had fireworks.
You know that I was a happy camper.

So, moral of this blog post: If you have the chance to go to a NASCAR race, DO IT. Seriously, so much fun.


We guarantee you will have a great time.
As you can see, we totally did!!!



1 comment:

  1. So fun! Your dad and I used to do this many, many years ago before kids! Love it!

    ReplyDelete