Thursday, June 21, 2012

I don't like alligators, the real kind or the UF kind....

So, seeing that it is practically the weekend again, I guess it is time to share what we did last weekend. I know, slacker of the week on blogging.

When we moved to Orlando last summer, we knew a total of zero people. Well, since August, we still only know about five people (all being our neighbors and realtor), but we met friends! I know, I sound like a complete loser with this post. Just go with it and humor me, okay?

I have decided that Florida has way more to offer than amusement parks and outlet malls. It is pretty sad that when you say you live in Orlando that those things are what people assume Orlando is all about. Well, let me tell you a secret. There is so much more to Orlando. If you like being outdoors, you need to visit here. We have a bajillion lakes, hiking trails (granted that they are pretty flat compared to East Tennessee), and lots of springs. This past weekend, we ventured with our new friends to Juniper Springs.  We went on a seven mile kayaking trip and it could not have been more fun. Juniper Springs is beautiful and the day could not have more perfect weather.

Since I am pretty sure I am the worst person to go kayaking with because I hit every tree in sight, I didn't take my camera or phone for pictures. So, the above pictures are from the website. But, they really don't do the spring or trip justice. It was so beautiful. I can't wait to go back and do it again.

On our little trip, we encountered many animals. You know, the usual, turtles, fish, and GATORS. I saw a real alligator in the flesh. I started paddling fast because I was about to pee my pants that I was in the vicinity of it. You know, watching Swamp People is one thing, but seeing it in real-life is another. Plus, I see enough blue and orange yucky UF Gator stuff in Florida, I don't need to see the real animal. Love to my vols F.O.R.E.V.E.R. and ever. amen.

After our kayaking adventure, we drove right down the road to the cute, little quaint town of Deland. Y'all, seriously, the cutest little town. We ate some yummy food, walked around the sweet town, and even strolled through a car show. After walking off dinner, we finished the night with a game of boys vs. girls Cranium. It was such a fun day and I am so excited to meet new people.



Seriously, how cute is their theatre? We were going to go see "Beauty and the Beast," but a rousing game of Cranium won out.


P.S. I am completely aware that I made us sound lame and friendless in this post. Annnnnd I am totally okay with that. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for new friends! I have been praying for them! You didn't tell me about the alligator!
    Yikes! Love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete